Monday 13 October 2008

Im actually scared.


Not scared for my life, oh no im fine in that department.. just scared about the lack of content on this blog. Just scrolling through BAGD's blogs and just looking at some of the things they've put on. So i need to add to it.! Here goes..

Ive had such a good few weeks meeting people and starting the work, its been a really weird experience of learning, not something im used to. In my old college it was all about outcomes and final pieces that were like posters and adverts, nothing really that we learnt until now. Its been really interesting and as days go im more and more glad ive come here. 


In the first few weeks I had a good balance between work and going out, getting a chance to meet new friends and enjoy leeds a little bit, but its also been good for the work. Over the summer we had a brief to recreate visually 2 letters in the alphabet, mine were A and H... i was a little worried, but kind of glad I didnt have U and X.. When we came back, we were put into groups for a 5 day brief to persuade and encourage people that out vowel (the groups) was better than the others.. It came out really good, ours was an advertising campaign I did the photography for to show the other vowels in bad situations in order for the A vowel to come on top. 

The example for the 'E' poster, it was a campaign for 'Exhibit A' treating the other vowels as threats to society. I thought it was good, but we weren't voted the favourite. It was a good confidence boost to see what can be done in just 5 days, without any actual learning. 

typeface! The randomizer stuck at uni.. (ill explain another time) and i got the two shapes circle and rectangle from the box, and from that we needed to form a typeface in print.. I decided to use potatoes, (take it old school) :D and i think it came out really good, with restrictions given. People commented that it came out with a 'x-ray' effect.

Just a quick snap of the studio with one of the wall pieces we've all been part of. Another brief from the randomizer.. we each had a word and it needed to be interpreted in 100 letterforms, my word was dissect. :S sooo worried at first but once I got started, wasn't so bad. As quite a few people said, it looked really good having 500 pieces of work up on one wall, just looking at what people can achieve.
Just a few examples of work, with the different words. Mine are the line of B's shown below..

fourth row down, in the centre column. I can't remember who did 'layer' on the left hand side, but they were sandwiches! brilliant.
Last week we had a print induction to the MASSIVE FACILITIES. Seriously 5 times the size of NCN's print room, and it wasnt even the only one, theres more in our building too! brilliant. Anyway, we had mono printing all day in the induction, but may seem a little bit boring, but at times it was tilting between creative genius and pre school fun, what you can do with CMYK and a few stencils. I have my prints back but unfortunately issues with my scanner for the prints on my mac, but i did take a few pictures with my phone of the plates which looked good.


My stencils laid over the top gave the nice effect, the ink began to seep through the paper stencils after constant use all day, which gave a nice effect on the later prints made. As soon as its sorted, they'll be on. the next image is actually the back of the plate I was printing off, after working all day on a dirty table, it created quite a nice print.


Some of the best work is always accidental, this is one of my favourites, I think it would be hard to recreate a piece like this by trying, probably why I like is so much. We've had quite alot of work this week already, plenty to do with colour, which ill post tomorrow night.. i think its abit late now. 


No comments: