Friday 13 February 2009

OUGD102 Self Evaluation

What practical skills have you developed through this module and how effectively do you think you have applied them?

I think my skills with Illustrator and Indesign have moved on much more, the work has almost forced me to use the software and experiment and develop ideas with the tools such as the pen tool, and adjusting the weights of stroke and fill. It was a breath of fresh air to actually be shown Indesign properly and be able to create a book with ease, ordering pages as appose to attempting to teach yourself in your ND course for an FMP, mentioning no useless tutors names (Chris Coldbeck) 

What approaches to/methods of problem solving have you developed and how have they informed your design development process?

The blog on this particular module has been really useful, a great place to get feedback from work, put down your ideas and show a clear path of where you need to take your ideas and processes. The what if? brief was my favourite of this module and problem solving in a group was not only useful but really enjoyable to do, to be able to devise a solution from a problem has been useful.

What strengths can you identify in your work and how have/will you capitalise on these?

The strengths have been through the use of a computer from the research, development through software and documenting on my blog from crits and progress. It doesn't feel like a chore anymore to update the blog, I'm now quite happy to ramble on individual posts about my work.

What weaknesses can you identify in your work and how will you address these more fully?

Time management has again been an issue, working on weekly briefs was intense in the first module, but I eventually got used to it and I worked alright, but with the book brief spanning 5 weeks, I had a tendency (and I think a few people did) to relax for the beginning of the brief a little then have to work much harder towards the end of the brief. If I had worked at the same pace throughout, I would of definitely produced more work. 

Identify five things that you will do differently next time and what do you expect to gain from doing these?

1. More primary research
2. Be consistant with work amounts
3. Timetable days more, have a fixed list of things to do that day, organised from the start!
4. Use the studio more, i did in the first module, but slipped a little with going home earlier.. I do work better at Uni.
5. Don't be so focused with ideas in development, I keep doing it!

Are there any things we could have done differently that would have benefitted your progress?

The same as the list of 5 really, and get organised. Use time for effectively.

How would you grade yourself on the following areas:
(5=excellent, 1=poor)

Attendance: 4
Punctuality: 4
Motivation: 3
Commitment: 3
Quantity of work produced: 3 (I'm not happy)
Quality of work produced: 3
Contribution to the group: 4

No comments: