Wednesday 28 January 2009

'100' book development

Sat in one of the 'what is a book' seminars, I had a brainwave for some sort of packaging cover/book opening.. Originally my idea was just to have a screw cap to unlock and open the book in a usual standard, but I made my way onto the carton you see below. This is the second sketch model I made and its turned out quite good. I thought I'd photograph it and pop it on the blog.
the exterior to look as much like a drinks carton as possible, just like the 'shelf life' book featured previously. An extra flap added for the carton to open out properly (needs to be refined)
Unscrewed, you can see the openings clearer. The top of the main flap tucks nicely in the seal of the carton, which i didnt mean to happen.. but works really well.
The main side will fold out, leaving the rest of the carton to stand still, maybe some additional graphics/pattern inside? although I do like the foil interior.
The flap in tucks completely and the extra sides fold out to reveal one large side, where I plan to add the book, fold in the centre. A ring bound book I think would work best here, but I shall experiment and see. On the vertical part of the carton, I added tape as a simple way of keeping the flaps tucked in, but obviously in the final book, the net will be made to accommodate the side flaps.